Wednesday, November 24, 2010

All Good in the Hood of Ventura Kiteboarding

Twas the day before Thanksgiving.............

Reflecting upon yesterday over AM coffee. SUPpose to be a SUP (StandUpPaddle) day.

Loaded my 10' 6'' and paddle in the truck and was sure to bring all kite toys as well. Upon arrival
conditions were 1-3ft. and light wind. I knew the tide was going ultra-negative low again. I was hoping
"the snack/sand bar" would be serving up some waist to chest high slop.

Kept checking the buoy and sensors, upper teens to low 20's and Ledbedwetter at 16. The familiar condition of Paralysis Analysis started to set in. Pulled on the 4-3 wettie, booties and wind guard and sat. Listening to KFI AM- keeps me in a "Serious Kiteboarding" business mode-flashes of a past life, neck ties and deadlines, IONS ago.

Squalls past thru barely leaving a trace of moisture. Paul F. shows up we exchange pleasantries. We discuss the last half of "Super Sunday" as we watch a visitor pump up a 12m FelixCultSigmaSciFi. With a small twin and 160LB frame we watch the friendly new guy walk up wind.

Skies begin to clear, wind increases, Paul F. makes a move to give kiting a shot. Tip arrives on cue in the rapidly improving kite conditions. I surprise both, hopping out of the truck in my warm/dry 4-3m and booties good to go.

Friendly New Guy is up and riding staying up wind. FNG has a nice downloop transition toe to heel side on the twin, but must get altitude sickness as he never leaves the waters' surface.

Paul F. self launches and is out well powered on his 5' 10'' and 11m Cabbie. We toss Tip up on his 12m Exclipse and he gets under way on his 5'8'' surfboard. I'm next, self-launching a bit small but betting on the
20 plus readings in the channel to come to shore. In the 15 to 20 knot conditions and my 5'10'' Fish the current is running strong with the wind resulting in a bit of power loss.

I buzz FNG and Tip who are pushing shopping carts down their parallel aisles. Paul F. moves to the North edge of the cove and finds snippets of surf. I observe the speed and cranking bottom turns and watch Paul carve off the thigh to waist high "lake effect" wind chop. I have witnessed Paul in real surf, most would be pleased to possess half of his polished SMOOTH skills. RESPECT!

With RESPECT, and a bit lacking in the power department. I decide to leave Paul to find some "cove love"
I hunt down everything and anything resembling a wave and I am back at the Aloha Steak House. The wind is increasing the sun is setting and the tide continues to drop. I hear screaming and a flash, not lightning---- NOOOO! Thank God, only a camera.

Ventura Kiteboarding tip: You see lightning ride low and land immediately on shore if violent and close ditch kite immediately.

Horizon tack out in failing light and increasing wind. I find a waist high clean wall and work a series of bottom turns and S turns on the wave. Distance is my goal since there is not much to perform with on the waist high wave. I straighten out in the flats to get ready to LAY into a bottom turn and I notice the drainpipe green and mossy just inches below the waters' surface. I think outloud "OH SHIITE"!  Perfect and magical to match the
evening, my board passed over without even a sound.
Ventura Kiteboarding tip: Ollie or bunny hop, submerged surprise obstacles. I am practicing this, next go out.

FNG and Tip went in, Paul F. and I stayed out till almost OdarkThirty. Wind was funky deep in the cove, decided to dump my kite on the water rather than on barnacle clusters of rock. Tip came over and we talked
about the Ventura Kiteboarding core crew scoring again.

Tip and Paul F. bolted as if it was 9:30 on a Summer Night, it was only 6:00! Strange how darkness sends us for shelter. I sat in the empty lot Thank-full for my beautiful and wonderful Catherine and my son Jared, contemplating the session and the obvious question: Will it blow tomorrow?

"It's All Good in the Hood" -Ventura Kiteboarding

Tom Ventura Kiteboarding.com

No comments:

Post a Comment