Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eddie said: "It Will Blow!" Ventura Kiteboarding

Last night, checking the usual forecasting tools. N.O.A.A., isobars, pressure gradients, 3 different computer models, I'm not seeing any hope. The best I can do is make great poker hands. Unsuited straights 6-7-8-9-Joker and a full house.

At 10:30 AM the wind chimes and the trees started to rustle up music. No forecast and I am thinking how did Eddie know?  This is 2 days he has predicted that I would bet against.

Load up, coconut telegraph starts up. I ignore it. On a mission today. This is now obvious with 15-19mph. readings.
(9 bucks a month from ikite tells all with current updates. The hundred bucks a year that vampires try saving, pay dearly with my torment/torture of current conditions. "Penny wise and dollar foolish" as the saying goes.)
Rant over.

Eddie shows up, I immediately give kudos and props for his 24 hour prediction. Eddie very humble, goes about his "get ready" business. I mention something about a source, Eddie responds with a "secret" something- another and a paid service-Call-Eddie. We laugh and prepare for the approaching upper-teen, low twenty stuff.

Twins, MarcoWaldo, a few SB guys show up.  Big Mike, 5'2 130Lb will be wound on a 9m. Ventura Kiteboarding core crew is in session.

Big or Medium is the question at the drive-thru and the point today. I decide Medium, eye balling the 3ft surf. Make the walk to the Ventura Kiteboarding core crew launch. MarcoWaldo tells me to go Big, I ponder for a minute. MW's been riding for 10 plus years and knows me and my gear. I go back and get the BIGz.
Self-launch and very well powered. "Go BIG or Go Home"-I think to myself.

Horizon tack, first order of the day to check the playing surface. Solid wind results. One tack to the turrets, then bump and grind any wave surface. Decide to pop a few nose, rail and tail grabs on the way back out.
Marco-air-Waldo is launching to the moon, I've witnessed so many 20 foot airs, I barely notice, until he hits the 25ft plus mark.

MarkT shows up and is getting "fancy" on his wake-skate. Doing backside 360's to fakie switch on wave faces. Thinking he's on his twin tip, this would be "garden variety" stuff for another 10 year plus rider. Strapless on a wake-skate and 6'4 frame, this impressive Ventura Kiteboarding core crew member has got skills.

Big triangle tacks, to burn real-estate down-wind thru the surf is my agenda. Somehow, someway I am able to link the turrets to the "old spot" to the cove on connecting waves. By now the cove has 8 riders, Thomas Young Gun and PeteL know my Big kite and 27 meter lines are coming down the line and divert to the horizon. Easy 3 football fields, include the endzones of riding waves. Cape St. Francis in the " Endless Summer" wave (sort of).  I shout out..............wait for it.................ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS! Statement not a question.                                              
2 giant tacks and back at the turrets. Repeat not the distance, but shorter replays.

I watch the tall Twin, DaveW progress tremendously each session. Toeside turns and chop hops. Mental note to self, call Dave and set up a ride-along, wave-riding, jump lesson. I know he wants some altitude sickness, because he's hurting his neck watching Marco-Air-Waldo and the elegant big fella Mark T.

Two and a half hours of riding, the wind is getting bumpy the sun is dropping. I want gains and no losses, thinking this may be a good time to pull the plug. I see Gary, a PL fan with the Venom kite, I traded for a 5'10 fish. I get recharged after a 5 or 10 minute sit down.

Ride until the sun is touching the islands, what a day: Ventura Kiteboarding rocks!
Now what about today: the sensors are showing 20's in the channel...............stay tuned.

Warm winds,
                    Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment